Ever have Cornbread Chili? Its an easy to make casserole made with chili on the bottom and cornbread on the top. The bottom of the cornbread get baked into and absorbs some of the chili and oh, it is sooo good and so comforting. I made this for dinner tonight and I just had to share. Its very simple to make. Use your own best homemade chili and cornbread recipes or follow the recipe below. Enjoy!
Course: Main Course
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans Diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 (14.5 oz) can Tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup dry navy beans soaked, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup dry kidney beans soaked, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tbsp. Chili powder
- 1 tbsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup Salsa optional
- 1 cups Flour
- 1 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter melted
Make the chili first:
- Brown ground turkey and onion in a skillet until cooked through, drain and pour into a crockpot.
- Dump rest of ingredients in crockpot, stir. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- When done, Transfer some of the chili to a large cast iron pan and fill up 3/4s full.
Make the cornbread batter:
- In a large bowl, combine dry cornbread ingredients
- Combine milk, eggs and melted butter and add to cornbread mix
- Mix it up. Batter should be lumpy
- Spoon cornbread batter over chili as evenly as possible. It will expand as it bakes so don’t overdo it.
- Bake on 350 for about an hour or until a knife inserted into cornbread comes out clean